(Recorded Jun 18, 2013).
In June, 2013, Ched and Elaine interviewed a “mother of the movement” for peace and justice, celebrating the 40th anniversary of Jonah House, the Christian peacemaking community in Baltimore, MD. Liz talked about:
- early influences during her religious novitiate (including Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, and Bill Stringfellow);
- the anti-war movement of the late 60s (including the Baltimore 4 and Catonsville 9 draft board actions and the Harrisburg Trial);
- beginning Jonah House in 1973 with husband Philip Berrigan;
- the Plowshares disarmament actions;
- doing time in jail and sustaining children in community;
- Phil’s passing in 2002; and
- the urban homesteading experiment at St. Peter’s Cemetery.